- Topic 1
Vietnam War Webquest - Your task in threes is to create an analysis of the Vietnam War from either an American or Vietnamese perspective
You need to read and complete 3 exercises from below to justify the war or denounce the war from your point of view.
You will present your PowerPoints on Thursday in class. Aim for a good mix of visuals and texts (try to limit yourself to key points; don’t copy and paste large chunks of text).
1. Click [here] to learn about the history of Vietnam.
Briefly describe the background to the Vietnam War. Answer the following questions:
How did Vietnam end up being split into two?
Why did the US get involved?
Who was Ho Chi Minh?
Who were the Vietcong?
2. Click [here] to learn about the Gulf of Tonkin. Answer these questions
What was the Gulf of Tonkin resolution?
Why was it necessary (what had happened in the Gulf of Tonkin)?
3. Click [here] to learn about the Tet offensive.
What was the Tet offensive?
4. Click [here] to learn about Guerilla warfare.
Describe Guerilla warfare.
5. Click [here] to read about "trouble on the home front".
Why was support for the war declining?
6. Click [here] to read about 1960's counter-culture.
What was the counter-culture and how did it relate to Vietnam
- What were the different ways that students protested against the war?Impact?
- Describe Woodstock in 2-3 paragraphs
9. Click [here] to read the lyrics to Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind".
What is Bob Dylan trying to say with these lyrics? How do you think he felt about the war?
10. Click [here] to view a photo gallery of pictures from Vietnam.
- Choose 3 categories and describe 5 photos from each. (Yes, that is 15 photos!)
- Topic 2
- Topic 3
- Topic 4
- Topic 5